Growing up is always eventful and often tumultuous. For trans and gender non-conforming kids and teens, the stress and chaos can be magnified. Many studies have shown the importance of allowing trans kids to express their identities; it greatly reduces their suicide risk and imroves their lifetime mental and physical health. However, it can be difficult for parents to know how to approach this, especially when so many effects of prescription hormones are irreversible. Prism Integrative Acupuncture provides a safe, supportive space for kids and teens to explore their identies and start the process of transitioning in a mild and natural way, while allowing parents time to adjust to these changes. For gender non-conforming or gender variant kids who may not want to transition, this can be an especially important method of exploration. Whether your child is taking hormone blockers, HRT, or nothing at all, acupuncture and herbs can help them feel more comfortable in their bodies and identities while reducing their overall risks and long-term effects. We happily work with MDs, therapists, and other types of healthcare providers to give your child the most well-rounded care possible.
Acupuncture and herbs may help to:
- Connect gender creative/non-conforming kids with their bodies to reduce dysphoria
- Create space to explore identity and gender expression without judgement or irreversible treatments
- Reduce anxiety surrounding the menstrual cycle
- Slow a heavy flow, ease cramps, reduce PMS and bloating
- Prevent spotting between cycles, which can be a side effect of prescription progesterone or testosterone
- Calm and reduce anxiety and depression, to help improve school attendance rates
- Together with prescription progesterone, herbs may suppress the menses
- “Test out” slight hormonal shifts without taking prescription hormones
- Feminizing herbs may support slight breast growth
- Masculinizing herbs may support some facial hair growth
- Herbs can create a “feeling” of hormonal change in the body, which for some people is enough to reduce dysphoria
- Smooth side effects of prescription hormones or hormone blockers
- Reduce compression pain, back pain, chest tightness, and skin lesions from binding and gaffing
- Reduce Acne
- Reduce fatigue
- Improve sleep
- Benefit focus and concentration
- Reduce stress and soothe anxiety
- Lift depression
- Boost your immune system to keep you healthy through the seasons
All information in this blog is for educational uses only. Always consult your doctor before taking any herbs or supplements, or changing or discontinuing your medications.
Contact us to see if your insurance covers services at our office!
Join the Prism Family! Subscribe to our newsletter and get our free hormone health mini e-course.